Thursday, June 12, 2008

CHRISTMAS DAY!!!

Yes this is a bit too late for a Christmas entry, I know. But you have to forgive me, coz I was too busy with whats been going on with my life amidst the Christmas hustle and bustle.

Toni, Ria and I had a very quiet Christmas eve. Its Ria's 2nd Christmas but basically one that she can almost understand and hopefully remembers. I introduced the socks hanging to her for Santas gifts. Although we only put some candies on her socks, we gave her a talking laptop toy. Toni asked for a very cheap Woodstock DVD. I think, I got the best gift this Christmas. I got accepted to the very best Language school in Tampere. And I had to leave my workplace. It was sad to leave all the friends I have made, but this was a choice I have to make, because I don't want Maria to grow up and not be able to communicate with her fully.

Glöggi is a Finnish Christmas drink, the counterpart of eggnogg or in the Philippines, the tsokolate (made from pure cocoa powder). Glöggi is made of grapes, blueberries, black currant, cinnamon, cardemum, and ginger. There are variations of course, but you have to mix this with red wine (for alcohol - 1:1) heat this up almost to the point of boiling but not so, and serve it with some raisins in it and almond flakes floating. There are so many different Christmas food here in Finland, but one that is the counterpart of fruitcake is the joulutorttu (christmas tart). Although its not made of tart. It is a pastry with jam in the middle, shaped like a star. Delicious!!!

And so we took our sledges and rode down the hill. Ria had so much fun, and for me, it was a picnic of course. I made leche flan, brownies and some cookies, brought coffee and soda. We went sledging with some of my colleagues and some new friends. It was really fun.

I know I wasn't able to hear mass. But here, its so difficult to get to the English mass, since our Pastor, a Polish one, speaks fluent Finnish. Soon, after this course, I will be able to go to the Finnish mass.