Thursday, June 12, 2008

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Entry of March 16, 2006


Its been two months since I started the Finnish language course. I have been really busy, for the course is really intensive and difficult. A lot of new words to remember and 100 rules with 99 exceptions! And did I mention that its difficult? Half of the time, I am almost giving up. The teacher speaks in Finnish 99% of the time, and will only translate in English if none in the class understands. And she expects us to speak in Finnish all the time. She explains the grammar rules in Finnish. I have a question: How the hell will she expect me to understand the rules of the grammars if she doesn't explain it in English? How the hell does she expect me to speak in Finnish if I don't know how to construct the sentence?????

An excerpt from my Finnish Grammar book by: Fred Karlsson:

"The Finnish language is a member of the Finno-Ugric language family. Languages most closely related to Finnish are Estonian, Karelian, Vepsian, Ludian, Votian and Livonian, which are spoken around the south and east of the Gulf of Finland." I have never even heard of these languages!!!

Finnish language is what you would call agglutinative, in which grammatical markers and endings are joined to a word stem. And let me tell you, a word can go very long, and is already a sentence in the English language. And if the longest word in English: "Pneumonoltramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" is one form of lung disease, the longest word in Finnish: epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän - is already a question, meaning: Maybe by being unsystematical too?

Maybe now you would understand why its freaking difficult to learn the Finnish language. Imagine if one sentence can be written in one word. Or like if you want to say in Finnish: Maybe by being unsystematical too, you will get this lung disease?

more from me....