Thursday, June 12, 2008

First Lady President.


Three Sundays ago (Jan. 8th) was the Presidential election here in Finland. Tarja Halonen, the first Lady President, also a social democrat, was up for re-election. Her main rivals are former Finance Minister Sauli Niinisto, a conservative, and centrist Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen.

Polls results indicated that there will be a second voting procedure that will happen on January 29th. Because the winner did not get more than 50% of the votes. So the two candidates who got the most votes will go for a face off that will determine who will be the President. And thats Tarja Halonen and Sauli Niinisto.

I am still not a voter of this country, and I dont want to analyze this so much. But when I become a Finnish citizen, which I hope will not be in the near future, then I will have a lot more to say about this.

My language course is very interesting, and I am starting to have dreams in Finnish. Which the teacher said is just normal. Funny thing is, when I start to practice on Ria, she cringes and tells me to stop. I think I suck. But well, give me a bit more time, and I will try again.


Picture from: www.axisglobe.com